Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Can I

I wonder if my creative juices freeze up during the winter time? It has been a while since I have written anything new and it was probably around last June or July that I wrote the song I am going to blog about today.  I feel like I go through song writing droughts every year and I would be willing to bet that it is the winter season every time! Just a thought... I'll have to go through my songs and check out all the dates!

Anyway, this entry is not about how often I write songs. It is about one of my newer songs that I just recorded. The recording is just the raw version with me and my guitar, but I liked how it turned out!

The song is called Can I. You can listen to it at http://www.kattingey.com/music/unreleased.html.

It all started when I was messing around with a *Travis style pick pattern. I wanted to do some kind of *hammer-on that followed the vocal line. While I was playing around with chords and hammer-on's I ended up creating a really cool little guitar solo. This gave me motivation to actually get a song written out because I wanted to use this guitar solo so badly!

As I practiced my solo over and over... and over again, I tried to think of some lyrics that would go with my chord progression and melody. I didn't want this song to be a break up song, or a love song, or a dramatic relationship song of any kind. So I started thinking about life and what else there could possibly be to write about! ha ha ha... jokes jokes... :)

We all go through times when we analyze ourselves. Asking ourselves what we want in life, how we want to be, how we want to act and/or what we want to stand up for. I wrote this song at a time when I had not stood up for some things that I wished I had of stood up for. I cared too much about what other people were thinking. Honestly, I wrote the lyrics to this song at a time when I was disappointed in myself. I started to ask myself if I could be strong...if I could stand up for the things that I believed. This prompted me to think about what I did want to stand up for and what I did believe in. It also prompted me to ask my self if I could.

We all make mistakes. We all do things or say things we wish we hadn't. Sometimes when we have made the same mistake more than once we can get down on ourselves, wondering if we will ever be able to get it right. The important thing is that we always get back up and keep trying!

These were some of my thoughts and feelings as I wrote the lyrics to this song. I was questioning myself a lot and really trying to analyze myself!

Something I have decided as my life keeps moving forward is this... I am very capable of doing hard things! I have my weak moments, but I am strong too! I have been through some tough times and I always come out on top! I will continue to get back up whenever I fall and try again, and that is something that I know I will always do! How awesome is that! :) I hope you feel inspired now...whoever is reading this! ha ha

To listen to Can I again and again...(because I know you are going to want to put it on repeat all day long!)   ;) Go to this link http://www.kattingey.com/music/unreleased.html



* Travis Picking involves playing a steady bass pattern with the thumb and filling out some syncopated rhythms with the fingers

Hammer-on is a stringed instrument playing technique performed (especially on guitar) by sharply bringing a fretting-hand finger down on the fingerboard behind a fret, causing a note to sound.


1 comment:

  1. love your blog, but I need more pictures! You would love what I did to the wall downstairs. Austin loves your picture, when he went with Mike to get mom he got all excited and asked if "Kathryn coming"

    ReplyDelete